Caribdus: Dark Waters
The Red Men of Torath-Ka are savage barbarians that look something like red-tinged neanderthals. They are massive brutes with dirty brown hair and brown eyes and limited intellects. Most are too brutal to put aboard ships with good-hearted crews, but they are sometimes captured and pushed toward their captor’s foes as “shock troops.”
Occasionally, Red Men escape and mate with humans or masaquani. The children of these rapes are called a variety of things, none of them polite. Half-ugak or— incorrectly—Red Man are the least
Half-ugaks usually have terrible childhoods. Most who survive are raised in secret by their parents or sold into slavery from an early age. Such rearing does little to improve their
natural hostility. Pirates and privateers alike find half-ugaks fantastic crewmen. They
are simple enough to obey orders yet barbaric enough to terrify many foes before a shot is fired
or an axe is swung.
A few years before the flood, ugak raids against southwestern Ograpog dramatically increased. A large number of half-ugaks resulted from this period. King Amemnus chased the Red Men back
to their jungle highlands (now Torath-Ka), but a number of new-born halfbreeds were left in the path of this brutal campaign.
Names: Half-ugaks have single, short names such as Ug, Lak, or Tonga if they were abandoned or raised by Red Men. It is considered rude to give a half-ugak a masaquani family name, but a few brave souls have done so regardless.
Racial Edges & Hindrances
- All Thumbs: Half-ugaks do not easily understand complex devices. They can fire crossbows, cannons, and even pistols, but very rarely attempt to reload them. Those who wish to try must make a Smarts roll at -2.
- Clueless: Half-ugaks are not worldly creatures. They may ignore this penalty only when checking for common “survival” type skills, such as where to find shelter, whether or not a
particular food item is poisonous, and so on.
- Dumb: Half-ugak brains are less-developed than most. It costs 2 points to raise their Smarts during character creation, and they must dedicate two levelling opportunities to raise their Smarts afterwards.
- Outsider: Half-ugaks are universally reviled or at least shunned by other races as savages. They suffer -2 to Charisma.
- Strong: Red Men are strong, as are their half-breed children. They start with a d6 Strength instead of a d4.
- Tough: Half-ugaks are hearty souls. They begin play with a d6 Vigor instead of a d4.
- Tough as Nails: Half-ugak player characters begin play with the Tough as Nails Edge.